It is believed that the city of Vologda was founded in 1147 year. There is a city of four parts: Posad Upper and Lower, Zarechie and the City. The central district is the City. It was erected on the site of education of Vologda, already around it a modern city was built. Here is the Kremlin Square. In 1947, the pavement was laid out of stone, and ten years later it was asphalted.
The main attraction here is the Sophia Cathedral, preserved from the time of the founding of Vologda. In the cathedral and to this day, there are still murals of 1686 of the famous icon painter DG Plekhanov. Nearby is located, no less interesting, Resurrection Cathedral. It was erected in 1772 year and at the moment, is an architectural monument of the region.
Nearby is the Church of the Nativity of Christ, which also belongs to architectural monuments. The church was built in 1670 year, and during its existence it was repeatedly rebuilt, thus lost its original solemn appearance.
One of the first temples in Vologda, the Alexander Nevsky temple was built in 1556. Its erection is connected with the stay in the city of the icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. In our time the temple was given to the Vologda Cossacks. Another temple located in the central part of the city is the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God. The local historians say that the church was erected here before the Kremlin.
The north-western part of the city is called Upper Posad. It is the most ancient place of the city with the preserved Gorny-Uspensky monastery, formed in 1590 year. Nearby on the hill there is a church named after. Nikola Zolotokrestinskaya. Historians were interested in the second part of the title, since the church never, in the history of the church, had any gold crosses. From the documents of the beginning of the eighteenth century, the church was called "The Golden Cross", because it was near the Assumption Cathedral, where the crosses were gilded.
The south-eastern part is called the Lower Posad. He is known for his home museum of Peter I, which is more than a hundred years old, and a river station. Many years ago merchant ships used to walk along this river, but now they offer river walks. The fourth part of the city of Zarechye is on the left bank. Here is the temple of Sretenia and the Temple of Zlatoust, as well as the house of Admiral Barsh, considered a monument of classicism.
In addition to architectural monuments, the city is famous for its lace, which can decorate almost any clothing: from children's jackets to Costumes for complete. Also Vologda is famous for its branded oil.